Author Topic: Introverts and Church  (Read 15279 times)

buck

Introverts and Church
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
Besides my utter disdain for religious people who have turned the name Jesus (Love) into something profain and disgusting I hate church. 

I found a very interesting article regarding church being dominated by extroverts who equate introversion with a rejection of Christ (love). 

As if an extrovert would recognize love if it hit them upside the head. 

The article concluded that for an introvert attending church would be synonymous to telling an extrovert that in order to attend church they had to strip naked and hug and kiss every stranger in the room.

Not sure if this has been an issue for anyone else but I now have the ammunition I need to ward off people who I otherwise like with their efforts to intimidate me into their extroverted festivals of obnoxious behavior veiled by religious idiocy that has absolutely nothing to do with the purpose of love.

Buck

Hidden Wolf

Re: Introverts and Church
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
I don't like church for the same reason as you, Buck. It's not the act of going, it's the people. They are not sincere about Jesus' love. I'd say I have to work on making my relationship with Christ stronger. I'm not about to fake my love for the Lord Jesus Christ if it's weak. 

Also, I prefer to worship him privately. A relationship between you and Christ is special.

Hmmm, I haven't been to church in years to be honest. What about you?

Good topic Buck,
Hidden Wolf

buck

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »
It's been a while.  I threw in the towel for good when GW was elected.  My wife goes frequently but doesn't ask me to accompany her.  It was good for her to realize that my objections are valid for me.

I especially dislike the thought of anyone talking non stop for an hour with no ability to express my point of view. 

I know we introverts suffer at the hands of a world controlled by extroverts I hoped this topic would help to relieve others from yet another area of anxiety created by the thoughtlessness of demagogues.

Hidden Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
Lol!  :D Sometimes I wonder how it came to be that extroverts were dominant. I could imagine that they were the minority at one point...hmm...

flame

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »
I haven't been to church since I was forced to go as a kid, and I don't miss it at all, except for it's ability to make me fall into a dreamy sleep :D.

I agree with both of you, Jesus, Christ, Whatever a person wishes to call it...I personally think it has no real name, but it does seem feminine to me...is a personal thing and requires no place of worship other than a persons own heart and mind. Church goers are usually really self-righteous, hypocrites who haven't even read the bible thoroughly, and never question any of it, or even interpret it correctly...they just use it and church as a way of creating a consensus reality that they are somehow more holy and blessed by god for going than any people who choose not to!
 I think it's also a fear and guilt thing that they have had drummed into them, that if they don't go, god will somehow "smote" them and they will go to hell. That's a pretty evil emotional bit of blackmail that stems from the early medieval days when a bunch of perverted sex-crazed, but repressed, old men made up a bunch of rules, and put the fear of god AND the devil into masses of peoples heads via the power of sspamestion...which was nothing but a lie by the way...the devil does not exist (except in people themselves, and there is no hell under the ground...but it is fast becoming that way on earth because of the massive imbalances in society at so many levels. But there are also lots of people who are actively creating heaven on earth...which is what it is supposed to be...this place is really paradise...why are people so blind to that?

buck

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:12:10 AM »
The issue is probably another example of the US gone wild.  Perhaps if I woke up in Australia this morning I would consider this to be paradise as well.   

For me Jesus is a perfect man with a mother's heart.  The American church is a beast created by men who love to be worshiped and supported. 

Uncle Ron

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:44:28 AM »
I'm not really up on my Bible studies and all, but is it possible Jesus was an introvert? What, with his "the meek shall inherit the Earth" philosophy and all? By everything I'm familiar with, he seemed to be fairly mellow and introspective. Except for that whole money-changer thing. But even an innie can only take so much, right?  ;)

buck

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:34:40 AM »
When I first raised this issue it was to identify church attendance as another example of extroverts attempt to force introverts to be more outgoing and turning it into a religious or belief issue.

I was concerned that in raising an issue about religion I would somehow offend other's beliefs.  I did not intend to open up a discussion about anyone's personal, intimate beliefs about what is sacred to them.

I love and adore my wife.  I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way towards her but I certainly expect that I would be allowed to love her in my own way. 

So it is with Jesus, for me. 

I think He is perfectly balanced but I do think He pointed out continually what is so often written about on this forum.  Extroverts, the majority attempting to impose themselves on the minority through means that are anything but godly. 

With the help of the forum I have been able to assert myself by putting the trash outside of my inner self.

I don't like church for the same reason I don't like crowds of strangers no matter what the event.  It has nothing to do with what is going on inside of me.  It's just that I am extremely uncomfortable in a group of three or more.

In America extroversion has become a religion unto itself.  In my life I have never seen mindless worship to the extreme that I saw towards George Bush. 

So it is not only a personally dangerous issue to follow the crowd it has the potential to be a disaster that touches everyone in the world.  As it has with Bush. 

I know of no greater proponent of his madness than the American church.  Our treatment of the prisoners in Guantanamo is reprehensible.  Diametric from the message of Christ to love our enemies. 

But somehow the extroverted dolts who are worshiped and adored compare the madness to something that is godly.

It was my hope that raising this issue would relieve other introverts and point out yet another example regarding the pressure friends put on us to be extroverts.

Uncle Ron

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »
My point in raising the possibility of Christ as an introvert is to consider the irony - and hypocrisy - of modern-day religion.

As others have said, organized religion tends to want us all to become extroverts. And they do so in Christ's name, no less. No matter if He were an innie or outie, I think He'd encourage each of us to nurture our spiritual side in whatever way we were comfortable with.

I just think it would be more interesting if all the extroverted worshipping was centered around an introvert.

buck

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
good point Uncle Ron.  I never looked at it like that.

Hidden Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Hmmm...

flame

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
That is really ironic Uncle Ron...I never looked at it that way either...funny how they condemn us whilst worshipping one who was introverted in his personality (if he existed at all?) I personally see the bible as a STORY that was written long ago about a man called jesus...and which contains cryptic passages that are open to interpretation and has been grossly MISinterpreted by most people in the mainstream. I haven't actually read the bible myself, and would like to buy a copy one day...it seems like an interesting mystery to try and crack!

I can see where you were coming from Buck in trying to point out other examples of the tribes desire to get us all conforming to what they want us to be.
 It's also good to read other peoples points on this thread...it's a trait of mine to sometimes stray from the original tangent! I'm not sure if this is an innie trait? Does anyone else get that?

radames

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 12:24:33 AM »
I was brought up in church but I was more the "black sheep" trying to search for God in numerous different ways and methods.  I tried different denominations (as I was brought up Baptist but didn't really identify myself as a "Baptist") because I simply wanted to see the different ways people like to seek God.  I started believing in Christ at the tender age of five pretty much because I saw older people walking down the aisle in church and decided that I would go down there too.  Imagine a little five year old walking down the aisle to the altar to get saved, by himself, along with all of the adults.  :D  I got baptized a week later and guess who didn't like the water?  I ran out of there like I was a cat that just got doused with a hose!  :D

Anyway, I am not your "run-of-the-mill" Christian.  I like to keep an open mind and to be a "real person" first rather than a "Bible-basher."  I hardly even attend church.  I believe that each person has their own relationship with God in their own way and no one can judge that.  Whatever this means for each individual is no one's business except their own and God's.  Other than that, try to treat people with a bit of respect and love.  It goes a long way.

Being that so many government entities like to influence the church with money and power and influence, I would think that a lot of churches can be mislead by "wolves in sheep's clothing" and make it a social club (predominantly made up of outies) while resisting those "quiet and subdued" "pew-warmers" who would be classified as innies.  They require members to get involved or they give them a guilt-trip by alluding to their laziness and selfishness for only being "Sunday Christians" because they aren't involved in twenty different groups connected to the church.  Also, being that many cults like to parade around as "churches" I like to avoid a lot of groups that haven't been time-tested with character and integrity. 

Even so, I am investing quality time into my new wife and trying to know and love her more and vice versa.  I think that this honors God more so than a lot of people who act one way on Sunday and then another way the other six days of the week.

flame

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »
 That was well said radames!

It's nice to know that there are some people who call themselves christians , who still remember the basic meaning behind the word...and not just getting caught up in the hype of it all!

I watched this fascinating show once about people in the Andalusion mountains (did I spell that right?)
 These were the original "hillbilly's" with the grandma on the rocking chair , on the porch, with her shotgun lying over her lap.
 They believe that Jesus is represented by the serpent, and actually IS the serpent...and so the head church guy , without a second thought, places himself in the snake pits with hundreds of snakes writhing around him, and proceeds to drink the snakes venom from a jar...as do all the congregation. 
 This shows their faith in jesus and they have built up such a tolerance of the poison that noone hardly ever gets sick from it. This reverend did get bitten though and was very close to deaths door...but made a comeback and couldn't wait to jump back in the pit again! So extreme!

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 06:21:11 AM »
Radames.  I relate.  Perhaps you are a type of Jesus and your wife is your church.