Author Topic: being overwhelmed by noise  (Read 13457 times)

Alex

Re: being overwhelmed by noise
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:01 PM »
Good idea - exercising also reduces stress so sounds like a really good iniative

lillori

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »
I just realized I am an Introvert and it explains so much, I cannot stand noises I can't control.  I notice if I go to the libriary, that if someone is on the computer and typing really quickly and loudly, it just sends me, I actually have to leave the area.  My upstairs neighbours are noisy, and I actually feel as though I have to move.  If I go to a restaurant and the table nearby is talking loud, I can hardly focus on anything but that.  I am going to try now and just accept it and realize there is nothing I can do about it, so relax.  Hopefully I am able to pull it off!!

innie-chris

• Hi Everyone!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
Shydi,
    I sometimes feel overwhelmed by noises to. I try to ignore them or if a person is making the sound I try to get them to stop. I hope this helps  :).  Good Luck!!!!!

Adam

• Teen Introvert
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 08:43:25 AM »
I don't like extremely loud music etc.... The worst thing is if you find yourself in a packed restaurant and shopping centre, and everyone is talking making a lot of noise.

I just hate it - it drains me so much quicker.
An extrovert in the class asks, "Why are you so quiet?"
The Introvert (me) remains silent.

mostlycontented

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
I carry earplugs in my purse, because if I go to a movie, I can't tolerate the sound level they seem to consider standard.  I prefer silence to sound when I'm working, and whenever I'm more solitude-deprived I find I'm also much less tolerant of noisy gatherings of people.  Some weeks when I've had several meetings on top of a busy week, I practically run away from fellowship time after church; I just get to the point that I can't stand one more input.

Deidrejay

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »
Yes I don't like loud noise. For example if you go out to a restaurant or pub and have to shout over loud music or loud talkers. And I prefer not to have the TV on as "background" noise although I'm happy to have a radio with nice music on, it's more when you get the talk part blaring at you.
Cheers DJ

newmom2008

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
Certain noises bother me. My husband whistles all the time, and I find this annoying. Its a very shrill sound. I've asked him to quit doing it, and he gets very offended. He does not understand that some people can be stressed out by certain noises.

flame

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 12:35:16 AM »
There is a good movie called 'NOISE' with Tim Robbins as the main character, and it's all about a guy who cannot stand the noise in new york city ...it literally drives him mad and he decides to do something pretty extreme about it! It's worth watching and I'm sure alot of you would relate to his plight!
 I started going deaf a few years ago and I was convinced it was my bodies defence response to feeling overwhelmed by the noise of the world. I couldn't go out anymore...this went on for a number of years, and I tried all sorts of ways to clean my ears out...but I actually did stop hearing out of one ear, and only slightly could hear out of the other...but it turned out that I had a genetically passed on overactive earwax gland that I inherited from my grandmother (I didn't even realise that sort of thing can be genetically inherited, but appaarently it can! It's back to normal now, and I seem to not get so distressed by most noises, though some still bother me! I found zen meditation a really helpful way of learning to not react to external influences, but accept them as something you can't control. I'm definately no master at it though, and still fall back into emotional responses to things, but it did help me!

Freja

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 05:27:58 AM »
I could never live in a city, due to the noise. I love living in the country where everything goes quiet at ten in the evening. A week ago I slept in another room, than what I use to, and realised that I had been "living with" a noisy radiator. And I wondered why I slept poorly.
What annoys me most is a radio sounding in the background. I think it is because the rhythm changes so frequently. TV in the background is OK, though. I think that is OK because their focus isn't on the ears but on the eyes, so there is not sound all the time, and it is not as violent.
Does earplugs really block out sound? Those I've tried didn't make much difference, and I couldn't stand having them in my ears.

Quiet

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
I cannot stand large crowds and noise. Little kids, loud children and adults can really annoy me-especially when I am trying to read somewhere.

The exception is that I like to sometimes watch sci fi or war movies which often have loud noises--but those are controllable noises.

Quiet

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »
Why do some people have to talk so loudly that you can hear them on the other side of a restaurant?  A little kid's screams may be charming to the parents, but are not to other's who are trying have conversations or just read.

niki

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
I get "overwhelmed" with all sorts of outer stimuli. Especially online, ironically. On my laptop, I fix my web browser to block all flash animations, I always set my volume to mute and I've learned how to manipulate my host file so I can block ads I find annoying and overwhelming from appearing on my screen. I had to learn how to do this after those terrible shadow-dancing ads came out or I'd have gone stark raving mad!!

This behavior is annoying to my husband if he has to use my laptop because he has to change a lot of settings in order to do what he wants online. He thinks I'm weird for being this way, that I shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff, that I should want to be more like him and not so.... weird to want to shut out such harmless, everyday, perfectly normal stuff.

I thought this preference was just one more thing that made me a weirdo freak. Or perhaps a person who was suffering from some new type of mental illness and in desperate need of a pill to snap me out of it. But it makes a lot of sense to me now and I am sooo done with thinking I need to be different.

From Introvert Power by Laurie Helgoe:

"..as predicted, introvert brains were busier than extrovert brains...their minds are so naturally abuzz with activity that they need to shut out external distractions in order to prepare their ideas...Extroverts may have more going on socially, but we've got more going on upstairs."

I loved reading that, especially after being mistakenly thought of as weird all my life. Or mentally handicapped, snobby or seriously mentally ill (which are all things people have thought of me throughout my life). It's such a relief to know that's just how my brain works, that there's a perfectly good reason for it and it doesn't make me some kind of freak or mentally ill and in need of pharmaceutical assistance.

And learning all this stuff has helped me deal with people who get annoyed, especially my husband, in a more healthy manner. For example, now that I understand this about me, I've been able to just accept it instead of thinking it means something is wrong with me. Which makes me less defensive and, therefore, potentially offensive to others.

This stuff comes up a lot with my husband and it's not just the computers -it's the TV. He's hard of hearing and likes to watch all sorts of things that sound like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard to me (movies with loud soundtracks, shoot-em up movies, Fox news or any info-tainment show with announcers I'd like to muffle. They work very hard at making their voices be attention-grabbers and it works. Sorry, I don't want my attention grabbed, go away.)

My husband also likes for me to watch TV with him. Most of the time, I don't care to watch what he does and I'm usually doing something online anyway. But we'd get in so many arguments because I'd ask him to turn the volume down. I finally just said, "You know what? I'm going to go in the other room with my laptop when you're watching something I don't want to watch. Don't take it personal, I just can't think with that noise going on."

You'd think that would be a total no brainer, to just do that from the start instead of go through all the stupid arguments we've gone through. And they've been totally stupid and childish lol. It was a blame game ...is he really hard of hearing or am I just overly sensitive?? Of course, I think it's him and he thinks it's me.

I'm realizing that all my life, I've let everyone else dictate to me how Niki should be. I didn't want to offend anyone (because that's a bad thing, can't ever offend anyone, what's wrong with you??) but I'd end up getting defensive and angry and lash out at people and not even know why.

I don't have to get defensive and angry anymore. And if he gets offended by me leaving the room because I don't want to listen to the kind of "noise" he likes, well, so what? He might still think I'm a freak for not wanting to watch Fox news but I don't care anymore. I finally know that's him, not me.

People are just different and I have to learn good, healthy ways to work out our differences. I think I've done that successfully in this case and plan on learning how to do it a lot more with others in the future.

Deidrejay

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »
Yes I don't like overly noisy atmospheres especially when one is expected to talk and shout over others which is a real strain as I'm softy spoken. If it's noisy I feel it's when we go to something that we are meant to just listen ie a band/music/entertainment.

I also agree there is nothing worse than being in a restaurant and having to compete with people with loud voices especially from other tables.
Cheers DJ

flame

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 07:17:14 AM »
I just came back from seeing Cirque Du Soleil-Dralion...Soooooooo incredible! This nice man in a wheelchair sat next to me and whenever it was time to clap he did the extreme whistle thing with his fingers (that I could never do, lol) which hit my eardrum like a mach truck! It's seriously the most disturbing noise I can think of...apart from a jack-hammer! :o

INTROSPECTIVE

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
yes - easily overstimulated by noise